Which one is better between VMware workstation and player? Do you have this question in your mind? It’s obvious: as everyone is in need to recreate their boundaries of the virtual world through the latest virtual machines. The response to this query depends on your preferences and taste.
Usually, we get references from our surroundings. There is quite a common saying, “Do the research and make a decision.” Isn’t it better to know why one thing is superior to another? Well, let’s review it together to find the best possible answer for you.
Don’t miss out on reading Which One is Best Between SSD and HDD For Gaming?.
VMware is a well-known technology leader perfectly reflecting its slogan “Bringing clouds back to Earth” for its best Virtualization applications enabling its users with proficiency, Agility, responsiveness, and efficiency in Computing, evaluation, Security, and for running and testing multiple Operating systems at once.
VMware Workstation and VMware workstation player are the two virtualization applications that offer users virtualization tools, working on a 64-bit processor with a minimum 1.3 GHz speed and a minimum of 2 GB RAM. However, 4GB RAM or more is recommended; about 1.2 GB of free disk installation space and a 64 bit Host operating system are required.
They support more than 200 operating systems like Windows 10, Windows 8.X, Windows 7, Windows XP, Ubuntu, Red Hat, Fedora, CentOS, and many more. They both are Hypervisor applications.
2) VMware workstation
It’s much more advanced and offers its unique and outstanding features like;
- Powerful Virtualization,
- 3D graphics,
- Rapid duplication by VM cloning,
- multiple snapshots,
- Provision of tab interface enables you to run multiple VMs with up to 16vCPUs, 64 GB of memory, and 8 TB virtual disks, to turn your desktop into a monster virtual machine VM sharing.
- Access to V spheres on an ESXi host for vSphere integration.
- Virtual rights management VRM feature gives more reliability and security to the user by restricting access to the workstation through encryption.
- Sandbox capabilities widen your learning experience.
It’s a paid-for product. IT professionals, Developers, Business leaders, Students, and home users can enjoy maximum benefits out of their work.
3) VMware Workstation Player
It offers stable and straightforward virtualization. It’s highly appreciated for its safe and powerful virtualization for providing you an operating system within an operating system on your desktop without affecting your innate data on your main desktop.
Its appealing features are;
- Path to BYO, secure environment while browsing online,
- Isolation of host desktop from the guest desktop.
- Easy access for quick creating and running virtual machines so that anyone can run a virtual machine, but it offers only a single instance; you have to use different windows for using more examples.
- It makes evaluation more accessible and safer using the virtual appliance. Users can Configure and create their own virtualization experience along with access to their connected devices.
- It can also perform tasks like drag and drop, copy and paste, USB devices access, and share folders. Its graphical interface for users is more straightforward than the VMware workstation.
It’s free for personal use, but if the user wants to run restricted virtual machines created by VMware workstation pro and Fusion pro, he will require a commercial license to avail it. It’s perfect for faculty, students, corporate users, and Business personnel.
VMware Work Station VS VMware Work Station PlayerWarning
It’s best to summarize the data and tally the results for a quick overview to help users choose the correct version.
[su_table responsive=”no” alternate=”yes” fixed=”no” class=””]
|Features||VMWare Workstation||VMWare Player|
|Create New VMs||♦||♦|
|Create Large VMs (16CPU, 64GB RAM, 3 GB VRAM)||♦||♦|
|Over 200 Supported Guest OSs||♦||♦|
|Host/Guest File Sharing||♦||♦|
|Run VMs with Different View Modes||♦||♦|
|3D Graphics with DX10.1 and OpenGL 3.3 Support||♦||♦|
|4K Display Support||♦||♦|
|Support a Wide Range of Virtual Devices||♦||♦|
|USB Smart Card Reader Support||♦||♦|
|USB 3.0 Device Support||♦||♦|
|Run Managed/Restricted Desktop||♦||♦|
|REST API Control||♦||♦|
|Command Line Operation: vmrun||♦||♦|
|Run Encrypted VM||♦||♦|
|Run Multiple VMs at Once||♦||♦|
|Create/Manage Encrypted VM||♦||♦|
|Virtual Machine Cloning||♦||♦|
|Share Virtual Machine (Workstation Server)||♦||♦|
|Connect to vSphere/ESXi Server||♦||♦|
|V center Server Appliance Effortless Deploy||♦||♦|
|Remote vSphere Host Power Control||♦||♦|
|Microsoft Virtualization Based Security (Guest) Support||♦||♦|
|Virtual Trusted Platform Module (v TPM)||♦||♦|
|Virtual Network Simulation (packet loss, latency)||♦||♦|
|Virtual Network Rename||♦||♦|
|UEFI Boot Support||♦||♦|
|UEFI Secure Boot Support||♦||♦|
It’s said that it is the difference that makes things interesting. As for my experience, both applications are excellent in their unique ways offering their users the best virtualization world experience. VMware workstation is easier to handle in its basic ways with easy and quick access to virtualization, giving users the best experience. In contrast, the VMware workstation is more professional and proficient in its distinguished way.
Undoubtedly, the VMware workstation holds an ideal place over the VMware workstation player because of its full-fledged virtualization capacity and advanced features. Please let us know which one you prefer the most and why?